Friday, April 1, 2011

The "What You Should be Doing" Guy

I swear I've been encountering this prick so much that he's becoming a new archetype. I don't know what his motivation is--tired old misogyny? Anxious about a lack of control? Boredom? I do find that idle hands are the devil's playthings...wherein the "devil" here functions as an annoying critic of other people...and by people I mean, specifically, women.

I encountered the "What You Should be Doing" Guy about 8 months ago when I ran into my sister at the store and she was shopping with him. She came up, we hugged, made some chitchat, and she asked if I'd just gotten off of work. When I replied that I had, the guy she was with had to jump in with, "Well, that's what your ass should be doing." Which made my mouth turn to cotton...like the cotton-mouthed hillbilly that was looking like a Grade A weasel that didn't have an education beyond that of a freeloading redneck first grade low rate drifter who was standing before me and telling my sister how things REALLY are. I just wanted to punch him in his bitch mouth, but instead I let it slide for a minute with a glare and we continued talking. He felt the need to correct her and attempt to put her down (still miles to go before she's at his level) before I told her I had to go and we'd talk later. When later came and I asked why she was with such a stupid fuck, she told me that they weren't actually dating, and that he just has a "sarcastic sense of humor." So...not only is he acting on the misogyny afforded those (by the patriarchy) who have "ownership" of their "girlfriend property," but he didn't even actually offer her the whole "I earn for you, Bitch" mentality of most abusive boyfriends. He was merely an acquaintance that felt the need to whip shit in its proper line, which just proves how much they think we need fatherly invectives, "owned" or not. And, as such, she's so deeply entrenched in the narrative that she thinks that's a normal fucking way to talk to someone. Postscript to the tale--he was unemployed. BUT, somehow, that was irrelevent when he was telling her what's up.

Recently, I encountered the WYSBD guy again, whilst waiting for the city bus to take me to school. This time, in the form of my coworker's fiance, who was walking their dog with her past the bus stop. She and I chatted, I petted their sweetly perfect little pooch, and I mentioned that I enjoyed taking the bus because it was free to students and I don't like paying for University parking, in addition to the opportunity it affords me to get extra studying done between classes. At the mention of studying, the WYSBD guy snarkily responded, "Studying? That's what you should be doing," to my coworker, who responded by flipping him off. I later ran into him again at work, wherein he told me that she doesn't "walk our dog like she should be doing," but though I know she goes to school and has a job, I've yet to hear what it is, exactly, he does that makes him exempt from the labor that she "should be doing."

It just seems to me that there is so much opportunity for the WYSBD guy to, in fact, tell us what it is we "should be doing," that I think I need to find a job, some volunteer work, a hobby, that he "should be doing," so he won't have so much fucking time on his hands.

1 comment:

Sig. said...

I find myself saying "That's what *I* should be doing" a lot. I probably say it to other people too, though...I like to boss people around. :)

Post a Comment