Yeah. I'm at work. As you can see, that whole two years sans raise is really lighting a fire under my ass to work hard instead of blog whilst on the clock.
So I just had a woman come up to the counter and look at A Dog's Purpose, which we have on display due to Chuck's obsession with the title...which makes me NOT want to read it, but that's neither here nor there. I'm sure it has potential, as it's about dogs and I love dogs. Evidentally so does this woman's daughter.
Woman: A Dog's Purpose? Is this any good?
Me: I don't know, haven't read it. The owner really liked it, though.
Woman: My daughter has this...dog...(sense the disdain?) and just thinks it's the greatest thing ever.
Me: Yeah, dogs can kinda take over your heart.
Woman: Uh huh. Well, I'd rather have a grandchild, but she apparently doesn't think that's very important.
Which, this is by no means the first time I've heard this shit. A woman I overheard at Shitko, who should have been very pleased to have a daughter in graduate school, was so sad that she hadn't settled down and had children that she was taking on an apologetic tone to the other woman she was with. As in, "I'm so sorry my daughter is a huge slut bitch that won't have babies." This is the reason I bought a magnet for my fridge with some overwraught battle axe bitching into the phone at her daughter for not "providing her" with a grandchild. Part of the reason this disturbs me so much, though not the whole reason, is that 9 times out of 10 the angry mother didn't like being a mother very much. I don't understand what it is with old women and grandbabies. How many women did I see act as though their daughters were the biggest disappointments/killjoys to their own youth? That they felt they could no longer go out and have fun because of the kids at home? So...they turn that bitterness into some sort of gingerbread kingdom for potential grandchildren to skip around in? That's fucked up. And probably not true. I'd hate to think that so many seeds of discontent have been sown that some women just want all other women to suffer.
2 comments:
Right now my parents are nagging me about getting a job. But I know that as soon as I have a job they will be nagging me about grandkids.
I'm pretty sure my parents have accepted that Ingie and I are not going to give them grandchildren. My mother will have to adopt with Matthew's and Bethany's.
Post a Comment