Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Long Time No Talky...About Misogyny

This happened about a month ago, but I've been busy with schooling and...The Office on dvd. SO, I hadn't written about it yet. But now ya'll are hearing about it.

Despite my best efforts at avoiding illness last month (excessive sleep, water and OJ consumption), I got sick. Super excited to have access to Health Services, I made an appointment and got my exam on. The Doc (or was she a Nurse Practioner? They only have a few doctors on staff) was really nice and wrote me a prescription (I almost typed subscription. I have effed up those two words since forever) for some benadryl and a mild steroid. "Just head down the hall to the pharmacist and he'll get it for you."

Said pharamacist was one of the biggest fucks I'd encountered in a long time. Looking about 70 years old, he seemed in the mood to chat. He asked me what my major was, what I liked to read, blah blah blah. I told him I liked to read feminist literature...and he FLIPPED THE FUCK OUT.

"FEMINISM!!!" (Ok, I am not exaggerating when I say he screeched this at me. The other people in the waiting room started staring.)
"What do you mean, FEMINISM!!?? You're a FEMINIST??!!"
Me: "Yes..."
Fuckjob: "WHY?! Did the University do that to you?"
Me: "Um...do what? Make me desire equality?"
FuckerBalls: "Well, equality, sure, but FEMINIST sounds kinda RADICAL to me."
Me: "Yeah...I guess I'm super radical..."
DouchePacker du Jour: "I just...I don't know about that. Feminism. Huh. Do you ever read any classics?"
Me: "Jane Austen...Alice Walker."
Old Man A-hole: "Alice Walker. Who is she? Dammit, did you ever read Dickens?"
Me: "SO...My pills ready, yet?"
Pharmaceutical Philly: "Is that an engagement ring?!" (He really almost lost his shit at this point).
Me: "Yup."
Pharmacist (I'm growing tired of coming up with pejoratives): "How does THAT work?"
Me: (growing more and more irritated and it is showing in my tone): "Well, he's a feminist, too."
Pharmacist: "How? What?"
Me: "Well, he also thinks I can do whatever I want and am not property...CRAZY, I know."
Pharmacist: "Take these twice a day with milk or food. Feminism. I just don't know about that. Well, that's what a college education will do for you."

Wow. I mean wow. I'm...not really gonna pick this convo apart. It doesn't need it.

2 comments:

Sig. said...

I wonder why that fuckwad wants to work at a university. Seems like it would be torture for a dick like that to be in such a crazy-liberal environment all the time. Too much stimulation...might induce a heart attack or something.

E said...

College? Women don't need no college! They just need the Bible and a husband to give them some babies.

Post a Comment