So there's this young woman in my methods block whose methods and ideas I respect. She has a ton of energy, and she comes up with a lot of unique/fun/exciting activities to make literature and writing fun and connected. But I'm troubled by the disconnect she seems to have with her own viewpoints.
I know for a fact that she's been on contraceptives, and she wants to incorporate homosexual-friendly literature in the class. I also know that she was appalled by something on Faux News about teachers and she doesn't support standardized testing. She's also told me she's agnostic.
So these are reasonably liberal ideas. But she is a member of the college republicans, and she told me that she's "socially conservative." But I wonder if she knows what that means...because in being socially conservative, that means that you're all aflutter about gay rights, and abortion, and being all Christ-y in school. What exactly is she socially conservative about?
I also know that she's really into her husband, who just entered the army. He's a Catholic. Does that just automatically determine her "views" even if they aren't really hers? Does she vote like he says?
She was appalled, however, when I listed The Color Purple as my favorite book, and said she loathed a particular professor for "making us read so many poems about vaginas."
People make me sad.
2 comments:
Sigh.
(PS: This is Sig.)
Another example of people not knowing what anything means.
Post a Comment