Did I just lie to a woman attempting to screen her high school-aged daughter from reading "explicit" material? Yes...*wearing my naughty pants*
Okay. It's not because I'm an asshole. Well, kinda. But I can't deal with parents not letting their daughters read about life and the real world. It's really disadvantageous to their sense of reality, it doesn't prepare them for the real issues/problems/jerks they will encounter, and it denies them the ability to form their own decisions and conclusions about their lives in this world. I may be bias, since my dad libraried Helter Skelter for me at the age of 13 when he was amused I was playing his White Album over and over that summer on our old turntable, but I don't believe in extreme sheltering beyond a certain point.
Anyway, we constantly have over-protective parents in the store, denying teen girls the opportunity to read young adult books (and trying to force them down into the 9-12 age group) because they're hyper-religious, or just want their daughters to be completely ignorant of the fact that sex exists. That is not a good thing, and I feel this constant sheltering is why so many young women enter the world thinking they'll always be safe as long as they're always polite. No. I'd also like to note that it seems the over-protectedness only extends to informational exchange--they deny them access to important and useful information, but don't give them any talks about protection or promote self-defense as an elective hobby. They just don't want them to know about anything. I think that's effed. This "virginal" promotion has to go. They treat it (virginity) like it's the Jewel of the Nile, and that is so Victorian (in this day and age? Really?) it makes my head spin.
I'd also like to point something out that people don't ever confront--Innocence equals Assholery. When you consider "True Innocence"--a baby, say--what are we talking about? Babies, sure, they need sustenance and care and love and attention and diaper changes. But after the potty training--they're still assholes. Because they haven't been conditioned into decent behavior, they're kind of sociopathic. That's why I'm rarely surprised when I hear some child killed another one--it takes time to learn decency, because for *most* (not all), it does not come naturally. When innocence is so callously promoted, what are we saying? That kids who blow up frogs are super great? That the amount of bullying that goes on in grade schools isn't horrific? I can attest to the horrors of bullying firsthand (and indeed, may blog about that in the near future) and though high school was no picnic, grade school was far worse--in my experience, anyway. If you think children are sweet due to this innocence, you're definitely out of touch with reality. Kids and their innocence? A lie for the masses.
8 comments:
But if they don't know about the bad things, then the bad things can never happen to them! I know, it's ridiculous. I understand not desensitizing kids - for that matter, I think a lot of adults could stand to not be so desensitized - but keeping teens from learning about what actually takes place in the real world only does them a grand disservice for their eventual entrance into said real world.
Politeness and naivety often lead to not being able to stand up to people who are trying to walk all over you or getting into dicey situations where you're not at all safe, all because you didn't want to be impolite, offend, or simply because it never occurred to you what could happen. Coercion and date rape spring to mind as ready examples.
Also regarding kids, sweetness & innocence? Word.
Oh, we'll be in Rapids Sunday July 3rd, Mon the 4th, and leaving before noon on Tues the 5th. Any chance of a gathering on the 3rd or 4th, possibly involving Erica & co & D&D or something equally nerdy?
Thundercats are go.
I am also of the opinion that children are proto-humans that only become human once they acquire self-awareness and the ability to act properly. My cat is smart enough not to shit himself, babies are not.
Once I became a teenager my parents didn't try to censor anything with regards to sex. Hockey made certain I was not some retiring flower who couldn't take a punch. And yet somehow here I am, a functional adult. Amazing!
We should arrive in Rapids (Technically Nekoosa I guess...my parents' house is on Lake Arrowhead.) on the 2nd of July.
Okay. So I was thinking the 3rd? Can that work? Also, where are we doing this? I assumed my joint, due to the fact that parents tend to not like having people in their homes that aren't their children...or that could just be my parents, I don't know. Anyway, you all can come to my house. It's tiny as hell, but we can roll the gamin table up to the couch for more seats. :-) You lot can bring spouse-age. But if you have a better plan, lemme know.
I will also be in the area on the 3rd. I can't play late that night, which probably works out for the best. I can stop by early and say hello before before the gaming begins.
PS: Jamie, even if your mom doesn't want to see me, I would like to see her some time. It has been entirely too long -- 5+ years, I believe. Do you think that some time she'd be amenable? Perhaps we could take her out to lunch or something?
I don't know if she would be or not, I'll ask. But only if you email me that damn picture I asked you for. :-)
The 3rd works for me as well. Email me your address and stuff.
Ditto all that - the 3rd's great for us and I don't think I know where you live now.
Post a Comment